Monday, October 3, 2011

"Quatermass and the Pit"



...or "Five Million Years to Earth" depending on where you lived.

I love this 1967 British film by Hammer Film Productions! It's a sequel to the other films, "The Quatermass Xperiment" and "Quatermass 2," and like its predecessors it was written by Nigel Kneale. I'm such a huge fan of Kneale's smart writing!

This was directed by Roy Ward Baker and stars Andrew Keir as Professor Quatermass, and honestly I like him so much more than Brian Donlevy who played the role in the two earlier films. However, I like Donlevy, too.

The cast is strong with such powerful performances like James Donald, who was in "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (for Christ's sake!) and the beautiful and talented Barbara Shelley who also stands out in Mark Gatiss's BBC documentary "A History of Horror".

All in all a solid film and to me, but for a few things, still it stands up and gives me the same kind of thrill it did when I saw it as a kid.





No comments: