Monday, August 29, 2011

"History of Motion Picture Special Effects from Georges Méliès to King Kong"


This documentary, while not being feature length and glossing over quite a bit and spending too much time on nonsense... Wasn't bad. In fact, "The Right Stuff" SPFX interviews on their techniques was very interesting and it seemed so possible to do.

It gave me ideas!

And I'm looking for ideas!

I've loved the special effects in, "The Right Stuff" and they've still held up when so many CGI style effects don't after so many years.

That segment reminded me of a documentary I watched about the effects in, "Alien" where the spaceship model was moving down to a planet and the model was so huge and heavy it was being moved by a forklift covered in black velvet in some of the shots! That's just amazing to me!

They even painted big beachball-sized balls to be planets instead of using computers to do such things. I think the effects hold up really well in "Aliens."

Look how great the effects are in a film from just a few years ago like, "Moon" where miniatures were used in similar ways. Hmm... Maybe I'll watch that tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on Special Effects? What are some of your favorite effects in a film? Is there an effect that fooled you and then later discovered it was an effect?




No comments: