Saturday, September 3, 2011

"BAADASSSSS!"


"Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song" is a 1971 independent film, written, produced, scored, directed by, and starring Melvin Van Peebles, I saw that movie when I was just a kid. It was X-Rated and I can't remember how I got in being so underage. I was also the only white person besides the projectionist. He came down and sat with me. I guess he was concerned. I loved the film and I loved the energy in the theatre.

"BAADASSSSS!" is a 2003 biopic, written, produced, directed by, and starring Mario Van Peebles. I love this film even with its many flaws. It's very inspiring. It makes me want to get out there and make a film that speaks to the disenfranchised, but I don't know who that can be at this moment.

I have met both Melvin and Mario and enjoyed their company immensely. Melvin has had an amazing life. He is a true artist, actually he's a true Artist, with the capital A. He really has done it all.

If you want to make important independent cinema, this might be something to get you going. It's a real roller-coaster ride, but very much worth watching. I showed it to a few people who I wasn't sure if they'd dig it, but happily they did.





No comments: