Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Transformation: The Life & Legacy of Werner Erhard"


This documentary is about Werner Erhard, the creator of est, the multi-billion dollar personal growth seminars that made him a cultural icon in the 70's.

This film has some rare footage inside the est seminars, which I admit I found fascinating. I knew some people that had taken the program back in the day and it appeared to me that their lives had changed.

Asking my friend, who was watching this with me, if she'd like to take the seminar if Erhard was doing them today and she said, "Why pay $500 to have someone yell at me and call me an asshole all day long? I had ex-husbands and a father that did that for free!"

I think people will be surprised at how Erhard’s ideas and catchphrases have permeated our culture and dialog.

Was he a man on a mission to make a difference in people's lives, or just a man out to make a few billion? Can you separate the message from the messenger? This film even looks at how religious groups, cult leaders and the media target public figures.

I found this very interesting and would like to found out more about him and his work. I believe I would like to take the seminar and see if I have a transformation, because I'm ready for one!



No comments: