Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"THX 1138"


This is one of my favorite films. I got to share the experience tonight with someone who had never seen it. They may not have been as enthusiastic as I was.

Made in 1971, directed by George Lucas and starring Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasence. It depicts a dystopian 25th century future where a man and a woman rebel against a society that has the population controlled by android police and mandatory drug use to suppress all emotions.

It was the first feature directed by Lucas and developed from his student film and based on an idea by Matthew Robbins, "Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB," was made in 1967 while attending USC.

The feature film was produced as part of an experiment of 7 films Francis Ford Coppola's new production company, American Zoetrope would bring to Warner Brothers. The poor response to this visionary film ended the deal for all films and pushed Coppola into massive debt.

One thing that always stood out to me was that the credits roll down instead of up just as they did in Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" also a Warner Bros. film.

I still love this film, no matter which version of it I'm watching.





No comments: