Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Danger: Diabolik"


This 1968 film from director Mario Bava is based on an Italian comic book Diabolik.

John Phillip Law is Diabolik and Marisa Mell is his sexy partner Eva Kant. This Dino De Laurentiis production was filmed in Rome in his studio where Bava, using his special effects knowledge to make paper cutouts and small miniatures look like enormous sets allowed Dino De Laurentiis to convincingly lie about the actual cost of production. I mean, of course, he generously inflated the figures. The musical score is by Ennio Morricone.

I think most kids know this film from the music video for the Beastie Boys’ "Body Movin'".

One of my favorite movies, Roman Coppola’s "CQ" is obviously inspired in part by this and "Barbarella,".

I think this is a fun film to watch with friends. That's how I've always watched it.



No comments: