Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Brighton Rock"


This is the 1947 version directed by John Boulting and starring a very young Richard Attenborough as Pinkie and the fantastic Carol Marsh as Rose.

I've been wanting to see the new remake with Sam Riley and Helen Mirren, but I wanted to see this again. The first time I saw it, I was so taken with Hermione Baddeley's performance as Ida that I hardly paid attention to the rest of the movie. This time it was Carol Marsh, looking not unlike Samantha Morton who played Sam Riley's wife Deborah to his Ian Curtis of Joy Division in "Control"

The film was adapted from the 1938 novel, Brighton Rock by Graham Greene and it reminds me of "A Clockwork Orange" in some small aspects, being a young thug leader who you hope and wish might change his evil ways because there is definitely something compelling and maybe ever so slightly likable about their characters.

This morning I was reading a thread of comments on my friend (Video Watchdog Magazine) Tim Lucas's Facebook profile about the new version and someone mentioned how hard it is to see the older one. I searched and found it rather easily in six parts. I post part one here for you to watch. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Hutch said...

Brilliant film, also featuring William Hartnell, the original Doctor. I always thought Carol Marsh was utterly beautiful. She died last year.

Unknown said...

I wish we had more film of her than we do. She was so gorgeous.