Thursday, September 8, 2011

"‪Sabotage‬"


"‪Sabotage‬"

This is a 1936 thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I'm embarrassed to say I had never seen "Sabotage," because I had always got it confused with his other film "Saboteur". This was based on Joseph Conrad's novel "The Secret Agent" and that too, got me confused with Hitchcock's film "Secret Agent" so I've about given up!

Well, I think I can finally get it straight!

The way this film got chosen was I was talking to some friends who call the house I'm living in the "Beetlejuice House" because of its slight similarity and we started talking about Sylvia Sidney.

I always liked her and in this film she's so pretty, but how in the world did her character end up with Oscar Homolka? Karl Verloc (Homolka), is the owner of a cinema and part of a gang of terrorists who are messing things up around London.

It was weird that 9/11 came to my mind quite a bit while watching this, but being that date is only 2 days away, I suppose it shouldn't. It's just that some of the forms of terrorism this gang performs is also of a low tech way.

I enjoyed this film a lot.



No comments: